For many people, cats are more than just pets – they’re cherished members of the family. From their playful personalities to their adorable antics, cats have a way of stealing our hearts and bringing joy to our lives. But how much do you really know about these lovable felines?
In this trivia quiz, we’ll test your knowledge with 20 questions covering everything from cat breeds to cat behavior. So whether you’re a lifelong cat lover or just starting to appreciate these furry friends, this quiz is sure to provide a purrfectly fun and informative challenge.
So get ready to flex your cat knowledge and see how much you really know about our favorite four-legged companions!
- What is the scientific name for a domestic cat?
The correct answer is Felis catus.
- Canis lupus familiaris
- Panthera tigris
- Felis domesticus
- Felis catus
Felis catus is the scientific name for a domestic cat, which is a small carnivorous mammal.
- How many toes does a cat typically have on its front paws?
The correct answer is 5.
Cats typically have 5 toes on their front paws and 4 toes on their back paws.
- What is the term for a group of cats?
The correct answer is Clowder.
A group of cats is called a clowder, while a group of kittens is called a kindle or litter.
- Which of these is not a breed of cat?
The correct answer is Alaskan Malamute.
- Alaskan Malamute
- Maine Coon
Alaskan Malamute is a breed of dog, not a cat.
- What is the term for a cat’s hairball?
The correct answer is Bezoar.
- Hair knot
A bezoar is a mass found trapped in the gastrointestinal system, and in the case of cats, it is usually composed of hair.
- Which of these cat breeds is hairless?
The correct answer is Sphynx.
- Russian Blue
The Sphynx cat is a hairless breed known for its wrinkled skin and large ears.
- What is the average lifespan of a domestic cat?
The correct answer is 12-15 years.
- 7-10 years
- 15-20 years
- 12-15 years
- 20-25 years
The average lifespan of a domestic cat is between 12-15 years, although some cats can live into their 20s.
- Which sense is the weakest in cats?
The correct answer is Taste.
Cats have a weak sense of taste compared to humans, as they have fewer taste buds and cannot taste sweetness.
- Which of these is a sign of a content and happy cat?
The correct answer is Purring.
- Swishing tail
Purring is a sign that a cat is content and happy, although it can also indicate pain or distress in some cases.
- What is the name for a cat’s ability to land on its feet after a fall?
The correct answer is Righting reflex.
- Righting reflex
- Landing reflex
- Feline reflex
- Balance reflex
The righting reflex is a cat’s ability to orient itself during a fall and land on its feet, thanks to its flexible spine and keen sense of balance.
- Which of these is not a natural behavior for cats?
The correct answer is Barking.
Barking is a natural behavior for dogs, not cats.
- What is the largest breed of domestic cat?
The correct answer is Maine Coon.
- Maine Coon
Maine Coon cats are the largest domestic cat breed, with males weighing up to 18 pounds or more.
- What is the term for a cat with blue eyes and a white coat?
The correct answer is Odd-eyed.
Odd-eyed cats have one blue eye and one eye of a different color, often seen in white-coated cats.
- What is the name for a crossbreed between a domestic cat and an Asian leopard cat?
The correct answer is Bengal.
Bengal cats are a crossbreed between a domestic cat and an Asian leopard cat, resulting in a large, athletic, and spotted breed.
- Which of these is not a type of cat coat pattern?
The correct answer is Mackerel.
Mackerel is a type of tabby pattern, not a separate coat pattern.
- What is the term for a cat’s whiskers?
The correct answer is Vibrissae.
- Tactile hairs
Vibrissae are the specialized hairs, or whiskers, found on a cat’s face that help with spatial awareness and navigation.
- Which of these is a breed of cat known for its folded ears?
The correct answer is Scottish Fold.
- British Shorthair
- Scottish Fold
- American Curl
Scottish Fold cats are known for their unique folded ears, which are the result of a genetic mutation.
- What is the name for a cat’s retractable claws?
The correct answer is Protractile.
Protractile claws are a feature of cats that allows them to extend and retract their claws, helping them with climbing and hunting.
- Which of these is a breed of cat known for its short legs?
The correct answer is Munchkin.
Munchkin cats are known for their short legs, which are the result of a genetic mutation.
- What is the term for a male cat?
The correct answer is Tom.
A male cat is called a tom, while a female cat is called a queen.