Language is full of surprises, and sometimes words can take on peculiar or unexpected definitions that defy our conventional understanding.
In this quiz, we’ll delve into an assortment of unusual word meanings that will challenge your linguistic knowledge and expand your vocabulary. We’ll uncover the hidden meanings behind words that may seem ordinary at first glance but hold surprising twists and turns.
Whether you’re a wordsmith, an avid reader, or simply curious about the quirks of language, this trivia quiz offers an opportunity to explore the unusual side of words and their meanings. So, sharpen your lexical skills, embrace the unexpected, and let’s embark on this enlightening journey through the fascinating world of uncommon word meanings!
Let’s see how well you know the unusual meanings of words. Are you up for the challenge?
- What is the meaning of the word “defenestration”?
The correct answer is The act of throwing someone or something out of a window.
- The act of throwing someone or something out of a window
- The act of removing a mask
- The act of defending a statement
- The act of removing a fence
Defenestration originates from the Latin word “fenestra,” which means window, and is used to describe the act of forcefully ejecting someone or something out of a window.
- What does the word “borborygmus” refer to?
The correct answer is The rumbling sound your stomach makes when you’re hungry.
- A medieval weapon
- A type of rare gemstone
- The rumbling sound your stomach makes when you’re hungry
- A small, furry animal
Borborygmus is derived from the Greek word “borborugmos,” which is an onomatopoeic term for the rumbling and gurgling noises produced by the movement of gas in the intestines.
- What does “callipygian” mean?
The correct answer is Having well-shaped buttocks.
- Having well-shaped buttocks
- Having beautiful hands
- Having a melodious voice
- Having a symmetrical face
Callipygian comes from the Greek words “kallos,” meaning beauty, and “pyge,” meaning buttocks. It is used to describe someone with attractive and well-shaped buttocks.
- What does “quockerwodger” refer to?
The correct answer is A puppet controlled by strings.
- A type of woodpecker
- An old-fashioned clock
- A person who is indecisive
- A puppet controlled by strings
A quockerwodger is a 19th-century term for a wooden puppet or marionette controlled by strings. It is sometimes used metaphorically to describe a person who is manipulated by others.
- What is the meaning of “ultracrepidarian”?
The correct answer is A person who gives opinions on subjects they know little about.
- A person who gives opinions on subjects they know little about
- A person who is overly critical
- A person who is extremely tall
- A person who is highly skilled in multiple fields
Ultracrepidarian comes from the Latin phrase “ultra crepidam,” which means “beyond the sole.” It is used to describe someone who speaks authoritatively on topics outside of their expertise.
- What does “floccinaucinihilipilification” mean?
The correct answer is The act of estimating something as worthless.
- The act of organizing a chaotic situation
- The act of gathering a flock of birds
- The act of estimating something as worthless
- The act of creating a large amount of foam
Floccinaucinihilipilification is one of the longest words in the English language and comes from a combination of four Latin words, each of which means “of little or no value.” It is used to describe the act of considering or categorizing something as unimportant or valueless.
- What does “gobbledygook” refer to?
The correct answer is Language that is nonsensical or difficult to understand.
- Language that is nonsensical or difficult to understand
- A type of dance
- A large, messy meal
- A noisy and chaotic event
Gobbledygook is a term used to describe language that is overly complex, confusing, or filled with jargon, making it difficult for others to understand.
- What is the meaning of “lollygag”?
The correct answer is To spend time aimlessly or to dawdle.
- To loudly chew on a lollipop
- To play a prank on someone
- To spend time aimlessly or to dawdle
- To laugh uncontrollably
Lollygag is a slang term used to describe someone who is wasting time or being lazy, often by engaging in aimless or frivolous activities.
- What does “taradiddle” mean?
The correct answer is A petty lie or falsehood.
- A type of drumming pattern
- A petty lie or falsehood
- A small, annoying insect
- A quick, sharp movement
Taradiddle is a playful term used to describe a small, insignificant lie or a statement that is not entirely true.
- What is the meaning of “widdershins”?
The correct answer is In a counterclockwise or contrary direction.
- In a spiraling motion
- In a counterclockwise or contrary direction
- In a straight line
- In a zigzag pattern
Widdershins is an adverb that comes from the Middle Low German word “weddersinnes,” which means “against the way.” It is used to describe a counterclockwise or contrary direction, often associated with bad luck or superstition.