Welcome to the Gran Canaria Trivia Quiz, where we embark on a virtual journey to the beautiful and diverse island of Gran Canaria! Situated in the Canary Islands archipelago, Gran Canaria is a captivating destination known for its stunning landscapes, vibrant culture, and year-round pleasant climate.
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler who has explored Gran Canaria firsthand or simply intrigued by its allure, this trivia quiz offers an opportunity to discover more about this captivating destination. So, pack your virtual bags, imagine the ocean breeze, and let’s set off on an exciting adventure through the wonders of Gran Canaria!
Let’s see how well you know the secrets of Gran Canaria. Are you up for the challenge? It’s time to test your knowledge and explore the beauty and culture of this captivating island oasis!
- What is the capital of Gran Canaria?
The correct answer is Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
- Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is the capital of Gran Canaria, one of Spain’s Canary Islands.
- What is the highest peak on Gran Canaria?
The correct answer is Pico de las Nieves.
- Pico de las Nieves
- Montaña de Arucas
- Roque Nublo
Pico de las Nieves is the highest peak on Gran Canaria, standing at 1,949 meters (6,394 feet) above sea level.
- In which ocean are the Canary Islands located?
The correct answer is Atlantic Ocean.
- Atlantic Ocean
- Arctic Ocean
- Indian Ocean
- Pacific Ocean
The Canary Islands are an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, located off the northwest coast of Africa.
- Which two continents can be seen from Gran Canaria on a clear day?
The correct answer is Africa and Europe.
- Asia and Africa
- Africa and Europe
- Europe and Asia
- North America and Europe
On a clear day, it is possible to see both the African and European continents from Gran Canaria.
- What is the official language spoken in Gran Canaria?
The correct answer is Spanish.
Gran Canaria is part of Spain, and the official language spoken on the island is Spanish.
- What is the currency used in Gran Canaria?
The correct answer is Euro.
- Swiss Franc
- British Pound
- US Dollar
Gran Canaria is part of Spain, which is a member of the European Union. The currency used is the Euro.
- Which famous explorer stopped at Gran Canaria during his first voyage to the Americas?
The correct answer is Christopher Columbus.
- Ferdinand Magellan
- Vasco da Gama
- Christopher Columbus
- Sir Francis Drake
Christopher Columbus stopped at Gran Canaria in 1492 during his first voyage to the Americas.
- What is the name of the UNESCO World Heritage Site in Gran Canaria?
The correct answer is Risco Caido and the Sacred Mountains.
- Las Palmas Old Town
- Pico de las Nieves
- Roque Nublo Natural Park
- Risco Caido and the Sacred Mountains
Risco Caido and the Sacred Mountains of Gran Canaria is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recognized for its cultural and archaeological significance.
- Which sport is popular in Gran Canaria and played on a sandy court?
The correct answer is Beach Volleyball.
- Beach Volleyball
Beach Volleyball is a popular sport in Gran Canaria, played on sandy courts along the island’s beaches.
- What is the name of the famous sand dunes in Gran Canaria?
The correct answer is Maspalomas Sand Dunes.
- Playa del Ingles Sand Dunes
- Maspalomas Sand Dunes
- Corralejo Sand Dunes
- Las Canteras Sand Dunes
The Maspalomas Sand Dunes are a famous natural attraction in Gran Canaria, located in the south of the island.
- Which animal is native to Gran Canaria and is a symbol of the island?
The correct answer is Canary.
- Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch
- Gran Canaria Giant Lizard
- Gran Canaria Skink
The Canary is a small bird native to Gran Canaria and is a symbol of the island.
- What is the name of the traditional Canarian dish made from potatoes?
The correct answer is Papas arrugadas.
- Tortilla Española
- Papas arrugadas
Papas arrugadas is a traditional Canarian dish made from small, wrinkled potatoes, typically served with mojo sauce.
- Which type of tree is native to Gran Canaria and can retain water in its trunk?
The correct answer is Canary Island Pine.
- Olive Tree
- Canary Island Pine
- Palm Tree
The Canary Island Pine is native to Gran Canaria and has the ability to retain water in its trunk, allowing it to survive in the island’s arid climate.
- What is the name of the famous annual festival celebrated in Gran Canaria?
The correct answer is Carnival of Las Palmas.
- Semana Santa
- Carnival of Las Palmas
- San Juan
- Fiesta de la Rama
The Carnival of Las Palmas is a famous annual festival celebrated in Gran Canaria, featuring music, dancing, and colorful costumes.
- Which famous Spanish architect designed the Auditorio Alfredo Kraus in Gran Canaria?
The correct answer is Oscar Tusquets.
- Rafael Moneo
- Santiago Calatrava
- Oscar Tusquets
- Antoni Gaudí
Oscar Tusquets, a famous Spanish architect, designed the Auditorio Alfredo Kraus in Gran Canaria, a concert hall and cultural center located in Las Palmas.