Are you ready to test your knowledge? Whether you’re looking for a challenge or a chance to show off your trivia skills, this quiz is sure to give you a good time. We’ve got 65 of the best general knowledge questions to put your brain to the test!
From entertainment to comedians, this quiz has got it all. Do you know who was the first actor to portray James Bond in the movies? Or who the first female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom was? If you don’t, don’t worry! You’ll find out soon enough.
So, get your pencils and paper ready and let’s get started! It’s time to see how well you know your trivia. Good luck!
- What is a cardinal tetra?
The correct answer is “A small freshwater fish”.
- A high-ranking Catholic priest
- A small freshwater fish
- A major musical chord
- A chemical bond of four key elements
A cardinal tetra is a species of tropical fish that is typically found in shallow, slow-moving rivers and streams in South America. It is characterized by its vibrant red and blue coloring and is a popular choice for aquariums due to its small size and peaceful temperament.
- What function does the HTML tag <footer> perform in website development?
The correct answer is it denotes the footer area of a web page.
- Starts the head code of a web page
- Denotes the footer area of a web page
- Denotes the section is an aside
- Denotes the menu area of a web page
- Comedian Adam Sandler was born in which year?
The correct answer is 1966.
Adam Sandler was born on September 9th, 1966, in Brooklyn, New York.
- The captial of the state of Louisiana is?
The correct answer is Baton Rouge.
- Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge is the capital of Louisiana, located on the banks of the Mississippi River and the largest city in the state.
- The type of cheese called “Asiago” comes from which country?
The correct answer is Italy.
Asiago cheese is a type of cheese originating from the Veneto region of Italy, known for its sharp and nutty flavor.
- In which year was the movie “Leaving Las Vegas” starring Nicolas Cage released?
The correct answer is 1995.
The movie Leaving Las Vegas starring Nicholas Cage was released in 1995. It was an independent drama film which was critically acclaimed and won several awards.
- The actor Dwayne Johnson took a lead role in which blockbuster 2010’s movie?
The correct answer is “Jumanji”. Did you get it right?
- The Hunger Games
- Black Widow
The actor Dwayne Johnson starred in the hit movie Jumanji, released in 2010, which was a remake of the 1995 classic.
- Which country won the 1994 FIFA World Cup?
The correct answer is Brazil.
Brazil won the 1994 FIFA World Cup after defeating Italy in a penalty shootout in the final, becoming the first country to win the tournament four times.
- In what year did Britain start using the Gregorian calendar?
The correct answer is “1752”.
In 1752, Britain officially adopted the Gregorian calendar, which standardized the length of the year and the start of the seasons.
Best General Knowledge Quiz: Round 1
- Justin Bieber is the second most followed Twitter account. Who has the most followers?
The correct answer is “Katy Perry”.
- Katy Perry
- Barack Obama
- Taylor Swift
Katy Perry is an American singer-songwriter who has gained an immense following on Twitter, with the most followers of any account on the platform.
- In what year did King William III ascend to the throne?
The correct answer is 1689.
King William III ascended to the throne in 1689, following the Glorious Revolution which overthrew his father-in-law James II and established a new constitutional monarchy.
- Name a 2000 movie starring Matt Damon?
The correct answer is “The Legend of Bagger Vance”.
- Bangkok Dangerous
- Richard III
- Iron Man 3
- The Legend of Bagger Vance
The Legend of Bagger Vance is a 2000 sports drama starring Matt Damon as a mysterious caddy who helps a struggling golfer find his true swing.
- The captial of the state of Alabama is?
The correct answer is Montgomery.
The capital of the state of Alabama is Montgomery, the state’s second most populous city and the seat of Montgomery County.
- In which year was the movie “Dying Young” starring Julia Roberts released?
The correct answer is 1991.
The movie “Dying Young” starring Julia Roberts was released in 1991.
- Who won the Best Director Oscar in 2018 for the movie “Roma”?
The correct answer is Alfonso Cuarón.
- Alfonso Cuarón
- Ron Howard
- Danny Boyle
- Woody Allen
Alfonso Cuarón won the Best Director Oscar in 2018 for his critically acclaimed film Roma.
- The Italian term “Grazie” transaltes to what in English?
The corrrect answer is “Thank you”.
- Thank you
- How old are you?
Grazie is an Italian expression of gratitude and appreciation, so it translates to “Thank you” in English.
- The chemical symbol of the element Iodine is?
The correct answer is “I”.
Iodine is a chemical element represented by the symbol I, which is derived from its Latin name, “iodum”.
- How many copies of the 1974 Eurovision winning song “Waterloo” did Abba go on to sell?
The correct answer is “6 million”.
- 4 million
- 5 million
- 7 million
- 6 million
Abba’s song Waterloo went on to become one of the most successful Eurovision songs of all time and sold 6 million copies around the world.
- Norwegian band A”ha had a number 1 hit in 1985 with “Take on…
The correct answer is “Me”.
- Too Much
- The World
Aha’s 1985 number 1 hit “Take on Me” was a song about a man trying to convince a woman to take a chance on a relationship with him.
Best General Knowledge Quiz: Round 2
- In which year was the movie “Moneyball” starring Brad Pitt released?
The correct answer is 2011.
The movie Moneyball, starring Brad Pitt, was released in 2011. It was adapted from the 2003 non-fiction book of the same name by Michael Lewis.
- Who directed the 1996 movie “Jack?
The correct answer is Francis Ford Coppola.
- Ernst Lubitsch
- Francis Ford Coppola
- William Dieterle
- Edgar Wright
Francis Ford Coppola is an Academy Award-winning film director, producer, and screenwriter who directed the 1996 movie Jack.
- In which year was the movie “The Player” starring Julia Roberts released?
The correct answer is 1992.
The Player, a crime drama starring Julia Roberts, was released in 1992.
- A group of doves is known as a what?
The correct answer is a dule.
- A dule
- A cauldron
- A fever
- A venue
A dule is a collective noun used to describe a group of doves, typically found in a flock.
- In which year was the movie “Joe” starring Nicolas Cage released?
The correct answer is 2013.
The movie Joe, starring Nicolas Cage, was released in 2013.
Best General Knowledge Quiz: Round 3
- Where do penguins live?
The correct answer is Antarctica and sub-Antarctic regions.
- Temperate regions
- Antarctica and sub-Antarctic regions
- Tropical regions
- Arctic and sub-Arctic regions
Penguins live in the icy cold climates of Antarctica and the surrounding sub-Antarctic regions.
- In which year was the movie “Desperate Hours” starring Mickey Rourke released?
The correct answer is 1990.
The movie Desperate Hours, starring Mickey Rourke, was released in 1990, marking the beginning of Rourke’s resurgence in Hollywood after a few years of absence.
- Talented actor Geoffrey Rush won a Best Actor Academy award in the 1996 movie “Shine” for playing which character?
The correct answer is David Helfgott.
- David Helfgott
- Daniel Plainview
- Bad Blake
Geoffrey Rush won the Best Actor Academy award for his portrayal of David Helfgott, a pianist struggling with mental illness, in the 1996 movie Shine.
- “turner” is an anagram of which word?
The correct answer is “return”.
An anagram is a word or phrase made by rearranging the letters of another word or phrase; in this case, the letters of “turner” have been rearranged to form the word “return”.
- Who was the best-selling artist of the 1950s?
The correct answer is Elvis Presley. How did you score?
- Frank Sinatra
- Nat King Cole
- Miles Davis
- Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley was a musical phenomenon who achieved unprecedented success in the 1950s, selling millions of records and becoming a global superstar.
- In which year was the movie “Austin Powers in Goldmember” starring Mike Myers released?
The correct answer is 2002.
The movie “Austin Powers in Goldmember” starring Mike Myers was released in 2002, the third installment of the popular comedy franchise.
- Which author wrote the classic children’s book “The Cat in the Hat”?
The correct author was Dr. Seuss.
- Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Johanna Spyri
- Rudyard Kipling
- Dr. Seuss
Dr. Seuss was an American author, poet, and cartoonist, best known for writing the classic children’s book The Cat in the Hat.
- In which year was the movie “Dragged Across Concrete” starring Mel Gibson released?
The correct answer is 2018.
The movie, Dragged Across Concrete, starring Mel Gibson was released in 2018 to critical acclaim.
- Which one of the following words is a noun?
Nominal is the noun.
Nominal is a word used to describe something that is small, insignificant, or not important.
- The mighty Ob-Irtysh River flows through which country?
The correct answer is Russia.
- San Marino
The Ob-Irtysh River is a major waterway in Eurasia and is the longest tributary of the Ob River, flowing through a large portion of Russia.
- Which racing driver won the 2018 Formula One World Championship?
The correct answer is Lewis Hamilton (UK).
- Lewis Hamilton (UK)
- Emerson Fittipaldi (Brazil)
- Ayrton Senna (Brazil)
- Michael Schumacher (Germany)
Lewis Hamilton is a British racing driver who won the 2018 Formula One World Championship, becoming the most successful driver in the sport’s history with five titles.
- In which year was the movie “Burn After Reading” starring John Malkovich released?
The correct answer is 2008.
The movie Burn After Reading, starring John Malkovich, was released in 2008. It was a black comedy written, produced, and directed by the Coen brothers.
- The actor Marilyn Monroe took a lead role in which classic 1950’s movie?
The correct answer is “The Seven Year Itch”. Did you get it right?
- The Seven Year Itch
- Elmer Gantry
- The Hustler
- Lonely Are the Brave
The Seven Year Itch is a classic 1950’s movie starring Marilyn Monroe in a lead role, where she famously stands over a subway grate and her white dress billows up.
- Name a 2013 movie starring Robert Downey Jr?
The correct answer is “Iron Man 3”.
- Looking Glass
- Shrek 2
- Iron Man 3
Iron Man 3 is a 2013 superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Iron Man, starring Robert Downey Jr. as the titular character.
- In what country is the city of Madrid located?
The correct answer is Spain.
Madrid is the capital city of Spain, a country located on the Iberian Peninsula in southwestern Europe.
Best General Knowledge Quiz: Round 4
- The U.S. state of Virginia is abbreviated to which two letters?
The correct abbreviation is “VA”.
The two-letter abbreviation for the U.S. state of Virginia is VA, which stands for ‘Virginia’.
- The equation 20 x 8 + 31 equals what number?
The correct answer is (20 x 8) + 31 = 191.
20 multiplied by 8 is 160, and when 31 is added, the total is 191.
- Who released the 70’s album entitled Rumours
The correct answer is “Fleetwood Mac”.
- Lou Reed
- Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac was a British-American rock band that released the album Rumours in 1977, which was a commercial and critical success.
- What Year Was Sydney Opera House Completed
The correct answer is “1973”.
The Sydney Opera House was completed in 1973, marking the end of a 14-year construction project.
- What is the latin name for Bluebell?
The correct answer is Hyacinthoides Non-scripta.
- Penaeus Monodon
- Hyacinthoides Non-scripta
- Suricata Suricatta
- Primula Vulgaris
Hyacinthoides Non-scripta is a species of flowering plant in the family Asparagaceae, commonly known as the bluebell.
Best General Knowledge Quiz: Round 5
- Which one of the following words is a noun?
Lesser-known is the noun.
Lesser-known is an adjective used to describe something that is not widely known or recognized.
- The 2010’s hit movie “Marley & Me” featured which Hollywood star in a leading role?
The correct answer is Jennifer Aniston.
- Tom Cruise
- Jennifer Lawrence
- Gal Gadot
- Jennifer Aniston
Jennifer Aniston is an American actress who starred in the 2010 hit movie Marley & Me, playing the role of a wife and mother who adopts a mischievous dog.
- What unusual word means “Something that is difficult to understand or interpret”?
The correct answer is “Inscrutable”.
Inscrutable means something that is impossible to comprehend or interpret, due to its complexity or mysteriousness.
- What function does the HTML tag <article> perform in website development?
The correct answer is it denotes the section is an article.
- Denotes the section is an article
- Creates a table
- Creates a form
- Start the body portion of a web page
The HTML tag <article> indicates that the section of the website contains content that is intended to be a standalone article, such as a blog post, news article, or other form of content that is distinct from the rest of the website.
- Fender are famous for producing one of the first electric guitars in 1951. It was later to be known as the Telecaster. What was its original name?
The correct answer is Broadcaster. How did you score?
- 51 Special
The original name of the Fender electric guitar was the Broadcaster, which was released in 1951 and later renamed the Telecaster.
- What is the capital city of Russia?
The correct city is Moscow.
Moscow is the largest city in Russia and has served as the country’s political and economic center since the 13th century.
- Who won the Best Director Oscar in 1945 for the movie “The Lost Weekend”?
The correct answer is Billy Wilder.
- Steven Soderbergh
- Elia Kazan
- John Ford
- Billy Wilder
Billy Wilder was an acclaimed director and screenwriter who won the Best Director Oscar in 1945 for his critically acclaimed film The Lost Weekend.
- The city of Munich is located in which continent?
The correct answer is Europe. Did you get it right?
- South America
Munich is a city located in the southern region of Germany, which is part of the continent of Europe.
- The 1950’s classic movie “The Alamo” starred which leading actor?
The correct answer is John Wayne.
- Kirk Douglas
- Robert Downey Jr.
- Sally Field
- John Wayne
John Wayne was an iconic actor in the 1950s, best known for his roles in Westerns. He starred in The Alamo, playing the lead role of Davy Crockett.
- In what country is the city of Xiamen located?
The correct answer is China.
- United States
Xiamen is a coastal city located in the southeastern part of China, in the Fujian Province.
- The 1990’s hit movie “Phenomenon” starred which Hollywood A-lister?
The correct answer is John Travolta.
- Robert De Niro
- Angelina Jolie
- Ewan McGregor
- John Travolta
John Travolta is an award-winning actor who has been featured in numerous films, including the 1990’s hit movie Phenomenon.
- Who won the Best Director Oscar in 1984 for the movie “Amadeus”?
The correct answer is Milos Forman.
- James L. Brooks
- George Roy Hill
- Milos Forman
- David Lean
Milos Forman was a Czech-born American filmmaker who won the Best Director Oscar in 1984 for his movie Amadeus.
- What is the name of the thick and toxic cloud layer surrounding Venus?
The correct answer is Venusian Cloud.
- Venusian Cloud
- Venusian Haze
- Atmosphere of Venus
- Venusian Atmosphere
The Venusian Cloud is a thick layer of toxic sulfuric acid clouds that encircle the planet Venus, blocking out much of the sunlight and heat from reaching the surface.
- The captial of the state of Florida is?
The correct answer is Tallahassee.
Tallahassee is the state capital of Florida and is located in the northern part of the state.
- Which pioneer guitarist had a hit with “Maybellene” in 1955?
The correct answer is “Chuck Berry”.
- Chuck Berry
- Eddie Cochran
- Buddy Holly
- Hank Marvin
Chuck Berry was an influential pioneer of rock and roll music, and his 1955 single “Maybellene” was one of the first rock and roll songs to become a commercial success.
Best General Knowledge Quiz: Round 6
- The Quentin Tarantino movie “Django Unchained” was released in what year?
The correct answer is 2012.
The movie Django Unchained, directed by Quentin Tarantino, was released in theaters in the United States in December 2012.
- Which Victorian era word means “a dirty or disheveled person, often a child”?
The correct answer is “ragamuffin”.
A ragamuffin is a person, usually a child, who is unkempt, disheveled, and often dirty in appearance.
- West Lothian is a county in which part of the U.K.?
The correct answer is Scotland.
- Northern Ireland
West Lothian is a county in Scotland, a constituent country of the United Kingdom.
- What nationality was Picasso?
The correct answer is “Spanish”.
Picasso was a renowned artist who was born in the city of Malaga, Spain, and is known for his pioneering role in the development of the Cubist art movement.
- Who directed the 1990 movie “The Hunt for Red October?
The correct answer is John McTiernan.
- David Lean
- Stanley Kubrick
- John McTiernan
- Rouben Mamoulian
John McTiernan is an American film director, producer and screenwriter best known for directing the 1990 movie The Hunt for Red October, a Cold War-era submarine thriller starring Sean Connery.
Best General Knowledge Quiz: Round 7
- Comedian Johnny Carson was born in which year?
The correct answer is 1925.
Johnny Carson was an American television host and comedian who was born in Corning, Iowa in 1925.